Thursday, December 12, 2013

My Life After The 2013 ADB International Skills Development Forum

Yours truly attending the 2013 ADB International
Skills Development Forum as a representative
of Bloggers 4 Change
The 2013 ADB International Skills Development Forum is one of the most fruitful dialogues I have ever participated in. I was invited there as the founder of Bloggers 4 Change, a community of bloggers and social media influencers who are passionate about using social media for social responsibility. It was a 4-day forum that discussed about the growing unemployment rate of the youth in the world, as well as the growing mismatch of the skills of the youth with the ones that are required by the industry. It was attended by many delegates from all over the world with special participation of more than 40 youth delegates from all over Asia. I am more than grateful to be invited as one of them.

During the 2nd day of the forum, I found myself thinking about how my life would be after it. Definitely, I don’t want it to be just any other gathering I will attend in, and then afterwards forget about the whole thing. I want it to be fruitful. I want to start somewhere, start small and start soon.

A few days back, I had just registered by first business at the Department of Trade and Industry. Finally, my dream of becoming an entrepreneur is becoming more and more real. I still have 2 government offices to visit, the municipal hall and the Bureau of Internal Revenue, and then I am officially the boss of my own business. At an early age of 25, I know this is not a small feat. But I want to tell my fellow young Filipinos is that this is already very much achievable.

I owe a lot to the Internet. Before, I was just a regular young professional thriving in the corporate world. I was very fortunate to work for top companies in the Philippines such as Lamoiyan Corporation, Amway Philippines and Globe Telecom. But working as an employee for long is not for me. This is what compelled me to explore the possibility of creating my own digital marketing agency, Mediactiv8, which only started as a blog. I would never have probably become who I am right now if not because of the Internet. I am very thankful that I was able to jump unto the blogging and social media bandwagon (which was really my interest) a few years back.

Now I am already out of the corporate world and doing it on my own. I enjoy the freedom that I have as well as the many opportunities being laid down before me as a result of being in a growing industry. This is what I also want to share with my fellow youth – the digital ocean is still blue. And I am not just speaking about the corporate setting. There are even many opportunities to work at home as an online professional.

Popular online jobs include blogging, graphic designing, social media marketing, virtual assistance, website designing and many more. You may want to check out web sites such as Elance, Freelancer and Odesk. These are job portals that connect online professionals to individuals and organizations that need them. This market is booming since people from the more developed countries found out that they can actually outsource jobs to people from the less developed ones. This gave people from more developed countries more savings as well as time to do more things, while people from less developed ones were actually given more decent jobs and alternative sources of income. There had been a beautiful exchange of skills and currency in this market and I believe that this it will continue to grow in the many years to come.

I am an online professional. I am a Digital Marketing Consultant for various organizations especially for the NGOs and the SMEs. I believe that these organizations are the ones who need digital marketing more since the barrier to entry to the digital world is very low. Gone are the days that only the high and mighty corporations can pay for media advertising. Now, social media is here and is readily available for individuals and organizations that need it.

What will my life be like after the 2013 ADB International Skills Development Forum?

I can see myself being involved more than ever in pushing ICT-based initiatives that promote education and employment for more people. I want to start somewhere, start small and start soon.

Below are some of the ICT-based initiatives that I am currently working on and will be working on.

With my co-delegates during the forum
1. Virtual Staff Entrepreneur Program. Mediactiv8, my company, is currently working as the digital marketing arm of DigitalFilipino.com. DigitalFilipino.com had been in the business of promoting e-commerce entrepreneurship in the country since the year 1997. Now, the site had grown to becoming an advocate not only for entrepreneurs but also for big companies such as MRM Worldwide, Sulit, AyosDito and other companies in the digital marketing and e-commerce industry. Will you ever believe that DigitalFilipino.com is being run only by a single lady? Her name is Janette Toral and one of her priorities right now is the promotion of the virtual assistance industry in the country. This is the same advocacy that I am pushing for – the online jobs. Through this 14-part webinar series, participants will be taught Search Engine Optimization, Social Media Marketing, Virtual Assistance and many more. And this program is being offered absolutely for FREE! If you have colleagues and friends who are looking for part-time and full-time opportunities online, please don’t hesitate to share to them the following link that will take them to the website of the program. In that website, they will be able to know more about the program and sign up too! The program starts on December 14, 2013. Here’s the link: http://certified.digitalfilipino.com/course/virtual-staff-entrepreneur-program/

2. One Internet Day. To celebrate the 10th anniversary of its club, DigitalFilipino.com shall be staging once again the One Internet Day as an advocacy for helping not only the aspiring online professionals but also the victims of various calamities in the Philippines. Last November 2013, many provinces in the Philippines were devastated by the Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda. It was a day that the Philippines and the world will not forget. Through the help of various international digital marketing speakers all over the world, DigitalFilipino.com was able to organize another One Internet Day on November 22, 2013 for the benefit of the families of Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda. On December 20, 2013, we shall be staging the online event once again and this time we have invited various Filipino speakers to help us with the advocacy. To know more about this initiative, please visit this link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1423325387899597/?source=1

3. E-Commerce Entrepreneur Summit. One of the biggest events that we are looking forward to organize next year is the E-Commerce Entrepreneur Summit. It will be a gathering of various e-commerce entrepreneurs as well those who aspire to be like them. This event is set to be staged on February 2014. To keep yourself posted with this event, please subscribe to our mailing list. Click here: http://surveys.benchmarkemail.com//Survey/Start?id=339170&s=361352

4. E-Commerce Entrepreneur Program. If DigitalFilipino.com has programs for bloggers and social media marketers, it also has programs for E-Commerce Entrepreneurs. The E-Commerce Entrepreneur Program is especially made for businessmen and entrepreneurs who have the passion for selling goods and services online. Being an e-commerce advocate for more than 10 years, Ms. Janette Toral would like to share her journey to others being an e-commerce entrepreneur herself. The 3-module program consists of the following: E-Commerce Site Launch; E-Commerce Marketing and Operations and E-Commerce Consulting as a Service. To know more about this program, please click here: http://certified.digitalfilipino.com/course/e-commerce-entrepreneur-program/

5. Certified Blog and Social Media Entrepreneur Program. I am a graduate of Certified Blog and Social Media Entrepreneur Program. It is a certification program designed by the Ateneo de Manila University and DigitalFilipino.com for entrepreneurs, professionals and students who would like to explore the world of blogging and social media entrepreneurship. It is a 3-module program that touches on the following: Blog Launch, Copywriting and Social Media Promotions; Professional Blogging, Social Media Marketing and Advertising as a Business and Making Money from Blogging and Social Media as a Service Provider. Module 1 starts on January 25, 2014. For more information, please visit this link: http://digitalfilipino.com/bsm/.

6. E-Commerce Creators Boot Camp. One of the most in-demand professions nowadays, with the advent of digital marketing and e-commerce, is website designing. Through the E-Commerce Creators Boot Camp, DigitalFilipino.com collaborates with Mr. Gilmar Padua of InfinityHub.com in teaching the participants know how to develop their own e-commerce website. As an entrepreneur, it is not enough to just hire someone who will do the tweaking of your website for you. Entrepreneurs must have at least an idea on how these things work to be able to work more effectively and independently. To know more about the program, please visit this link: http://ecommercebootcamp.digitalfilipino.com/course/e-commerce-creators-boot-camp-wordpress/

7. Search Influencer Boot Camp. Aside from website designing, another in-demand profession is Search Engine Optimization or SEO. Through the Search Influencer Boot Camp, DigitalFilipino.com teaches the participants the rudiments of Search Engine Optimization and Search Engine Marketing. The goal of the program is very simple – How can we help our clients achieve the highest ranking on Google search results? To know more about the program, please click here: http://ecommercebootcamp.digitalfilipino.com/course/search-influencer-boot-camp/?doing_wp_cron=1386905208.8576080799102783203125

8. Digital Marketing for Real Estate Industry. DigitalFilipino.com started to target niche-specific industries that need digital marketing and one of it is the real estate industry. Ms. Janette Toral is working hand-in-hand with Ms. Maita Siquijor of EstateClass.com in educating real estate professionals on digital marketing. Ms. Siquijor attests that the use of online media accounts for the most number of generated leads who inquired on about her properties. To know more about the program, please visit this link: http://influencerbootcamp.digitalfilipino.com/course/digital-marketing-for-the-real-estate-industry/

9. Mediactiv8. I created Mediactiv8 right after finishing the Certified Blog and Social Media Entrepreneur program. It started out as a blog and now it is being positioned as a digital marketing service provider for various individuals and organizations. Through my blog-turned-company, I offer digital marketing services such as consultancy; social media and community management; media relations management; website designing, SEO and many more. To know more about Mediactiv8, please click here: http://www.mediactiv8.com/

10. Bloggers 4 Change. Bloggers 4 Change is the reason why I got invited to the 2013 ADB International Skills Development Forum. I started this group around 2 years ago when I saw that there is no community of bloggers had yet been created to advance social responsibility in the country. There are many blogging communities created for events, fashion, food and travel but none was created for “changemaking” yet – which I believe is one of the most admirable uses of social media. This is how I came to start Bloggers 4 Change.

In the middle of this year, 2013, I resigned from my post as a Senior Community Manager for Globe Telecom and one of my objectives is to focus on Bloggers 4 Change. Without much promotions, I saw that the community was growing (we are now more than 200 bloggers in the group) and I felt it is about time that I focus on it. In the next few years, I see the community to be making great changes in the society through the use of social media. To know more about us please visit: http://bloggers4change.net/

If you would like to get updated on Mediactiv8's upcoming events and promotions, please sign up to our mailing list. Click here: http://surveys.benchmarkemail.com//Survey/Start?id=339170&s=361352

You may also read my blogs below to know more about the 2013 ADB International Skills Development Forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment